How much do you know about propane energy efficiency?
A survey sponsored by the Propane Education and Research Council revealed that 6 out of 10 homeowners invest in home improvements because they want to save on energy bills. Those who incorporated propane into their home improvement plans have done especially well with their investment because propane is extremely cost-effective—for your New York home or business.
As far as specific improvements go, propane tankless water heaters—many of them Energy Star rated—have been generating heightened interest from propane users over the last few years.
Fast facts about propane energy efficiency
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane burns hotter and more efficiently than many other energy sources.
- Propane gas furnaces produce much higher indoor air temperatures than their less efficient electric counterparts.
- Propane heats water quickly and efficiently for your shower and bath, as well as for your dishwasher, washing machine, spa tub and pool. Whether you choose a propane storage tank water heater or a propane tankless water heater, you’ll feel the difference compared to inefficient electric water heaters.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed, including the energy consumed in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use. Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient and electricity is 32% efficient.
Predictions for the future of propane
Keep looking for more technological advances in the years ahead, including renewable propane and zero net energy solutions. This will make propane’s value per dollar greater than ever before.
Right now it’s even possible for some people to go off the electric grid entirely, thanks to a system that uses micro-combined heat and power (micro-CHP) technology. This advanced system allows a furnace to be combined with a generator to heat a home or business while making electricity, too.
Micro-CHP technology has actually been used for decades in the commercial and industrial sectors. More recently, it has also proven to be a viable option in residences where there is high propane demand, such as multifamily buildings and large luxury estates.
Propane—the more you know, the happier you’ll be using this safe and reliable American-made energy source! Contact your local propane company in New York to learn how you can use this efficient fuel to your best advantage!