Propane is the cleaner, more efficient choice in New York
New Yorkers are warming up to propane—and saving money—by removing their old electric appliances and replacing them with modern, energy-efficient propane appliances.
Simply put, propane is cheaper than electric when it comes to home energy, When comparing benefits, start with propane water heaters as one example of the cost of propane and the value of comparing propane vs. electric heat.
Propane water heaters generally cost 30% less to operate than electric ones—or 60% less if you use a tankless propane water heater. You also have to consider the comfort factor as well.. Propane water heaters can produce about twice as much hot water as electric units—in the same amount of time.
If you’ve had enough of your inefficient electric water heater leaving you shivering in a cold shower, contact your propane company about installing a new propane water heater. It’s a lot easier than you may think!
Propane stoves, cooktops, clothes dryers and space heaters
- Why put up with the limitations of cooking with an electric stove? Propane ovens and cooktops cost significantly less to operate than their electric counterparts and provide a higher degree of control because of precise temperatures. Plus, a gas stove will continue to work during a power outage.
- A propane clothes dryer gets laundry dry 25% faster than the typical electric model. Over its lifespan, a propane clothes dryer saves over 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions compared to an electric model.
- Propane heaters for garages and other cold spaces are a great option because they’re much less expensive to operate than portable electric heaters. Vented propane gas space heaters are easy to install, incredible efficient and extremely safe.
Propane is cleaner than electricity
- Propane is one of the cleanest carbon-based fuels.
- The average propane-powered home reduces carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 30% compared to all-electric homes.
- Direct use of propane for space heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50%.
- Because propane is nontoxic and doesn’t pose a threat to soil and water, (above or below ground), it is not regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency.
Propane is more efficient than electricity
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed (this includes the energy consumed in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use). Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient; electricity is 32% efficient.
- With a clean-burning, high-efficiency propane furnace, less than 10% of fuel is wasted in the combustion process. In comparison, more than two-thirds of the energy used by a power plant to generate and transmit electricity is wasted.
Do you want to research propane vs. electric cost further? Are you interested in converting your old electric appliances to propane? Contact your propane company today!