Remarkably versatile, propane is ideal for heating homes and powering everything including water heaters, stoves/cooktops, generators, fireplaces, outdoor grills, space heaters, clothes dryers and more. It is, indeed, the single fuel solution for New Yorkers.
You’ll save money when you take advantage of all that propane has to offer. When you expand your use of propane, you’ll reduce energy costs and deliver better value and comfort than you’ve been able to with other heating sources. Here are a number of ways you can use propane in your New York home.
Warm your house up
When temperatures drop, a propane furnace will keep your home warm and cozy. Heat from your high-powered propane furnace will get the job done rather than leave you with a chill like electric heat will.
The reason for this is that propane furnaces allow for higher indoor temperatures. They’re also highly efficient and will heat your home with thermal energy that does not require a backup system.
Dry off your clothes
Cut your clothes-drying costs in half with a propane-fueled dryer.
Propane dryers take less time than conventional dryers to reach the temperatures needed to dry clothes evenly. Their moist heat also causes less wear and tear on your clothing, while the heat from electric dryers has been known to burn or discolor fabrics. Once your selected level of dryness is achieved, moisture-sensing controls turn the dryer off.
Keep these benefits in mind as you look for the propane dryer that’s right for you—whether it’s for a weekly laundry marathon or the occasional light load.
Enjoy a propane fireplace
If you have an old, wood-burning fireplace, it’s easy to convert to a safe, clean-burning gas insert. Here are several reasons to consider doing so.
- Propane gas fireplaces are maintenance-free and come in several different styles.
- As propane burns much cleaner than wood, propane gas fireplaces are less of a house fire risk. In fact converting can cut back emissions by up to 4,000%!
- Whether you are looking for an indoor or outdoor fireplace, the propane gas route offers higher efficiency than other options, producing twice as much heat as wood fireplaces but only costing about a third of the price.
- Skip the smoke, ash and soot as you enjoy up to six times the heating capacity of an electric fireplace. In fact, if you value your time by the fireplace, it’s important to note that a propane gas fireplace offers a true flame rather than the “fake flame” that you’ll find in electric fireplaces.
- Propane fireplaces require minimal maintenance, with no need for you to ever add another log or discard ashes afterward.
Use a propane stove/cooktop
Looking for more precise temperature control when you cook? A propane gas stove/cooktop is your answer, without the many limitations that come with an electric stove. First and foremost, your propane gas stove will keep running during a power outage. And you’ll enjoy a quicker response to temperature changes, especially when you’re lowering the temperature or shutting off the heat entirely.
Get more than enough hot water
For both traditional propane storage tanks and propane tankless on-demand water heaters, you’ll see more than just an uptick in your supply of hot water. Why? Simply put, propane-fueled water heating technology is more efficient than other options.
You’ll also see savings in your pocket, as propane water heaters are up to 30% less expensive to run when compared to electric heating units – even with a hot water recovery rate that’s about double that of electric models.
Taking up less space than other options, propane water heaters offer a higher level of accuracy in temperature adjustments and more choices when it comes to size and installation. Read more about propane water heaters.
Use propane in your yard
Enjoy the advantages of propane in your backyard as well! Here are just some of the ways you can do that:
- Outdoor heating. With a propane patio heater, you can keep your outdoor space warm even when the air cools down. Choose between freestanding or wall-mounted models, to find something that satisfies your needs and budget. Even if the power goes out, now you’ll be covered.
- Grilling. Skip the dangerous chemicals, starter-fluid smell and mess. And improve on the cooking performance time you’re used to, whether you’re using a simple, portable model or a high-tech, built-in design. A propane gas grill is clean burning precision at its best.
- Warm up the pool. Get so much more use out of your pool with the investment of a propane pool heater. With this investment, you’ll heat the water quickly and efficiently – a definite improvement over the electric approach.
- Propane-fueled fire bowls. If you’re looking for a true centerpiece for your yard, skip the mess of a wood firepit, and take a look at a propane fire bowl. You can also set up a set of small bowls near your entry, to really turn heads. And operating your propane fire bowl(s) with a smartphone- or tablet-controlled ignition system is sure to impress.
- Let propane light the way. Lose the wires, skip the buzzing and forget the chemical smells. Instead, enjoy the propane-powered flickering torch light in your outdoor space. And yes, you can coordinate with just about any style and decor you want.
The big picture
Make the investment into a whole-house propane generator. You’ll maintain control of the situation in the event of a power outage, without missing a beat when it comes to temperature control, refrigeration, lighting and more, including security systems, medical equipment and sump pumps. And not one device will run out of juice!
Find out more about how you can enjoy the benefits of propane. Please contact your propane company, and they’ll be glad to help.